In the beginning of this series, I left off with having finished the initial pattern block and the first test muslin (See Part 1). With a working block created, I was free to start drafting the real pattern. To do this, I needed to figure out how to incorporate the synthetic insulation, zippered pockets, and create methods to channel the various draw cords. The project moved along steadily during the drafting period, then hit some major hurdles during construction. It required some on-the-spot alterations, and a lot of seam ripping, but the final product fits and looks professional!
Continue reading “The Puff Jacket: Part 2”
I’ve tried a couple of different pattern drafting books in the past, and neither of them have been very good. There are missing steps, poorly written directions, elusive measurements that don’t work, etc. Fortunately, I stumbled across Myoungok Kim and Injoo Kim’s book, Pattern Making for Menswear: Classic to Contemporary. This book has the most clear instructions and diagrams I’ve seen in a drafting book, and produces fast and accurate results.
Continue reading “Torso Sloper Draft and Book Review”
This is the Oslo Coat from Tessuti Fabrics, made in a heavy weight, plain weave wool. This was made for my Mom’s 70th Birthday. I bought the fabric from Tissu Fabrics, which I think has the best fabrics available in the Salt Lake City area. The pattern is also one the better drafted patterns I have come across, with some very intricate details coming together perfectly. Continue reading “Tessuti Fabrics Oslo Coat”
My wife needed a new vest for bird hunting this year, and I figured why not make one? I sketched the main portions of the vest pattern off of her old one, then created a whole new set-up with added conveniences for her. The project finished very nicely, and this should be a long lasting and functional vest. Continue reading “Making an Upland Hunting Vest”
Over the past three weeks or so, I’ve been slowly picking my way through a reverse engineering of a favorite pair of pants. These military surplus pants finally died this year, after many adventures, and were some of my favorite pants yet. What I thought was going to be an easy tear apart and copy, turned into an involved project that took quite a while longer than expected. Continue reading “Reverse Engineered Field Pants”